Care of your pearls is essential to maintain the life of your pearls. Pearls are a naturally created gem stone that requires regular maintenance to keep the natural lustre looking as good as the day it was created.
Important points to follow to care for your pearls:
- Wear your pearls as much as possible. Natural oils in the skin helps to avoid the pearls from drying out
- Wipe them over with a soft cloth after wearing to remove any dirt, however, avoid pulling on them as this will stretch the thread
- Store pearls in a chamois bag to keep them protected from other items such as diamonds and metals which can scratch the surface. This also allows them to breath and not dry out
- Have your pearls regularly restrung. Many insurance companies like them to be restrung once a year. It gives your pearls a new lease of life and look clean and tidy
- If you wear your pearls regularly, have them cleaned professionally whilst being restrung
To prolong the life of your pearls please avoid the following:
- Do not spray perfumes and hairspray and other products onto the pearls or place pearls onto an area that has just been sprayed
- Don’t wear pearls during exercise or in water. Excessive sweating and water can weaken the thread
- Do not store in a dry area. If placing them in a safe, also put a small dish of water near them. If they dry out, they become flaky and lose their lustre
- Don’t play, twist or stretch them as this will weaken the thread and breakages will occur
If you care for your pearls, they can last for years and you can enjoy them for a very long time.